The Presidency has called for a comprehensive investigation into comments by former Kaduna State governor Nasir El‑Rufai regarding the alleged interception of communications belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu.
In an interview aired on Arise TV, El-Rufai claimed that he and other unnamed individuals listened to conversations from Ribadu’s phone after it had been tapped by a third party. While acknowledging that such interception is technically unlawful, he argued that illegal surveillance was not unusual.
“The government does it all the time. They listen to our calls without a court order. But someone tapped his phone and told us that he gave the order,” he said.
The remarks triggered swift reaction from presidential spokesperson Bayo Onanuga, who warned that the allegations carry serious national security implications and must not be treated lightly.
“Nasir El-Rufai has confessed to wire-tapping Nigeria’s National Security Adviser on TV. Does it mean that he and his collaborators have wire-tapping facilities?” Onanuga queried in a statement issued Friday.
He added that the Federal Government expects security agencies to determine the authenticity of the claim and establish whether any laws were violated.
“This should be thoroughly investigated and punishment meted out. Nasir El-Rufai is not too big to face the wrath of the law,” the presidential spokesman stated.
The development has intensified debate around surveillance practices, privacy rights and the legality of intelligence gathering in Nigeria. Analysts say the case could test the limits of security operations and accountability among political actors if formally pursued.
As of the time of filing this report, El-Rufai has not issued any additional clarification beyond his television remarks, while security agencies have yet to publicly confirm whether a formal inquiry has commenced.

